Welcome to iBUG Today - Empowering the Blind Through Accessible Technology
The website of iBUG Today, Inc., a non-profit organization promoting the individual independence, social integration and educational development of the blind and visually impaired community through accessible technology. iBUG (iBlind Users Group) is dedicated in helping the blind and visually impaired community become more proficient in using the accessibility features of the Apple iOS1 Devices.
More and more of our community are finding the Apple devices to be useful assistive technology tools in their daily lives. Whether at home, at work or school, or on the go – the accessibility features of the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Apple Watch and Apple TV have cleared new pathways for the visually impaired to be more productive, consume online content, stay connected through social media and have fun right alongside the sighted community.
Please explore our website to learn more about iBUG and for additional information related to iOS and iDevice accessibility resources.
- Next iBUG Face-to-Face Meeting / Apple Workshop - Special 6/5 Anniversay meeting
The meeting is open to anyone desiring to become more proficient at using the iOS accessibility features of the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Apple Watch and Apple TV.
WHEN: Saturday, May 27, 2:00 to 4:00 PM (CT)
Apple Store-Highland Village (Briefing Room)
Houston, TX 77027
Get more details...
- iBUG Named Agency of the Month
Check it out! iBUG Today is the featured Agency of the Month on the American Foundation for the Blind's (AFB) VisionAware website.
- Weekly iBUG Buzz (conference call)
Q&A help session on Monday nights via conference call.
Get more details...
- iBUG JumpStart Mentoring Program
Did you recently get an iPhone or iPad? Are you ready to throw it against the wall? Are you frustrated because you cannot seem to perform the most basic tasks? Or perhaps you have had your iPhone for a while and would like to learn some new feature or app.
There is help! The iBUG JumpStart Mentoring Program! The iBUG Today Team will match you with a qualified mentor who can help you accomplish some basic objectives. iBUG JumpStart is intended to introduce you to some basic concepts and gestures that will help you get the most out of your iPhone. Once you are familiar with the layout of the phone and are able to execute essential commands, you will be on your way to unlocking the awesome power of the iPhone. As you gain proficiency with the iPhone, the weekly iBUG Buzz Conference Calls on Monday nights and the monthly Face-to-Face meetings at the Apple Store will continue to provide a valuable resource for on-going help and support.
So, for those of you that would like to participate in iBUG JumpStart as either a mentor or mentee, please download the appropriate application form (MS Word format) below, fill out and return to the address indicated on the form.
For additional questions about the iBUG JumpStart Mentoring program, please contact the program administrator, Sandhya Rao, at email@example.com
- Next iBUG Cafe
WHEN: Saturday, May 13, 4:00 to 6:00 PM (CT)
Midtown Bar and Grill
415 W. Gray
Houston, TX 77019
- iBUG Trekkie Talk (conference call)
Since many iBUGgers are also Trekkies or Trekkie wanna-be's, we have created a discussion group to watch audio described episodes of Star Trek, the Original Series (TOS) and then meet together via conference call to discuss the episodes. We review the episodes on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month, 8:00 PM (CT). The iBUG Trekkie Talk discussion group is facilitated by Shane Christennson. Everyone (even if they are not a member of iBUG) is welcome to participate.
Get more details...
- The Apple Special Event on September 7, 2016 introduced several new products to the Apple lineup including the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus and Apple Watch 2.
- Check out the WWDC 2016 Keynote on June 13. The presentation included upcoming changes to Watch OS, TV OS, MacOS and iOS and more.
- iBUG at 2016 ACBT Convention and Conference - September 23-25, 2016
Chelsea, Sandhya, and Michael at the iBUG table in the Exhibition Hall.
Sandhya and Michael presenting at the Amazon Echo workshop.
- iBUG Today celebrates 5-Year Anniversary - May 27, 2016
- The iBUG Guy appears on iAccessVO
The iBUG Guy, Michael McCulloch, appeared on the May 21, 2016 edition of the iAcessVO program. Michael was interviewed by iAccessVO hosts Brian Fischler and Ed Plumacher as he described the resources and services provided by iBUG Today to the blind and visually impaired community.
Listen to the recording of the iAccessVO program here. Note the iBUG Guy comes on at about 25 minutes into the program.
- iBUG at Insight Expo 2016 - July 30, 2016
Tamer, Sandhya and Michael all set up at the iBUG table in the Exhibtion Hall to help users with iOS and iDevice questions and issues
Some iBUG members stop by the iBUG table sporting their new iBUG polo shirts and lady bug wrist bands - Michael, Stacie, David, Robert, Wes (top row); Raul and Sandhya (bottom row)
- iBUG Buzz Radio Program
- The iBUG Guy appears on the Accessible World Tek Talk Program
On Monday, December 1, 2014, the iBUG Guy, Michael McCulloch, appeared on the Accessible World Tek Talk program along with about a dozen other technology based groups. Dean Martineau who produces the Flying Blind, LLC Top Tech Tidbits newletter, moderated the program discussion as each group spokesperson described the resources and services they provide.
Listen to a recording of the Tek Talk program here. Note the iBUG Guy comes on at about 43 minutes into the program.
- New authorized Specialized Telecommunications Assistance Program (STAP) vendor in Houston area
Adaptive Communication Devices is now assisting qualified Texas residents obtain an iPhone using the STAP vouchers program. Please check out their website for further details: http://adaptivecommunicationdevices.wordpress.com
- Apple Accessibility Support - for questions about assistive technology on your Apple device
Phone: (877) 204-3930
- App Accessibility Issues - contact the app developer
Here is a sample letter that you may use to send an email to an app developer regarding the inaccessibility of their app.
- iBUG Road Show
A 90-minute presentation given by several advanced iBUG members that will provide your group or staff an introduction to the iPhone and its accessibility capabilities (currently limited to the Houston area). Read more...
- Michael McCulloch, The iBUG Guy works at the NASA-Johnson Space Center and will be posting the latest episode of This Week @NASA, October 7, 2016 for your info and enjoyment.
- One of The iBUG Guy's favorite composites of video shot by Space Station astronauts. Even after all these years, he finds it hard to believe that he has the priviilege of helping develop and build this fantastic "flying" machine. Please enjoy "Walking on Air"
- The iBUG Guy received the CARE Award 2014, presented by the Houston Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities for his outstanding dedicated service to citizens with disabilities in the City of Houston, Texas, September 26, 2014.
1 iOS is the operating system of the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.